Is it legal to become a member in a Cannabis Club?
Although currently up to 15 countries have legalized marijuana and its consumption, in Spain the use and consumption is prosecuted as long as certain issues emanating from the different judgments of the Supreme Court are not met, but in particular the sentence of October 2 2015 that defines the most important points that an association of cannabis users must meet to be legal:
– The associates of the association must be regular users of marijuana or addicts who have freely decided to group together to consume cannabis.
– The consumption of cannabis must be done in a closed place that avoids the visualization of this activity to finally «avoid the public promotion of the consumption and the diffusion of the substance to those who are not part of the initially grouped» as dictated by the Supreme Court ruling .
– The amount of cannabis that exists in the club or association must be «reduced or insignificant, as well as suitable for consumption in a single session or meeting» by all the members of the club or association.
– The consumption of cannabis must be immediate, restricting the exit of it outside the place of consumption and avoiding at any cost that is provided to third parties outside the club.
– That the meeting bring together a «small group of consumers» so that it can be considered an «intimate act without public transcendence».
– The associated persons must be «identifiable and determined», in order to be able to show and guarantee that they are habitual users of marijuana.
– That the club is not open to an indiscriminate number of members.
– The mass storage of narcotic products such as marijuana is expressly prohibited.
A legal activity in a legal association
In Spain there are almost 1,000 totally legal cannabis smokers clubs. Half of this figure, around the 500 Cannabis clubs, are located in Madrid and Barcelona.
Are legal Cannabis clubs? The answer is YES, but they must meet a series of requirements, a reasonable limit of partners and as long as there is no mass storage of the cannabis to be consumed, the club is perfectly legal.
As part of the activities in the clubs, as in other associations, events and explanatory meetings take place where members are made aware of different subjects related to cannabis, its consumption, its benefits, etc.
It is very common to see in the partner clubs that are watching a football game while they are making cannabis use, or playing pool games, playing video games, etc.
They are activities always carried out individually or in groups, by the partners.
How does it work?
Each club is different and has its unique way of functioning, but all cannabis clubs have a number of characteristics in common, for example, they are non-profit organizations and non-profit organizations.
To participate in them, they must be adults and already cannabis users, the members supply themselves and distribute marijuana among their members in a private area, without promoting consumption to third parties.
The cannabis consumer clubs serve to prevent the partners from approaching high-risk and illegal drugs, achieving safety in their consumption.
The intention of cannabis clubs is to participate actively in a remarkable improvement of values for society.